Sunday, October 31, 2010

Survived One Quarter

I survived one quarter of teaching! This is a great moment to really reflect on what has happened in the past 9 weeks. I cannot believe where I started and where I am currently. I am constantly learning on the job and constantly developing as an educator. I have had lessons that were complete failures and lessons that were absolutely incredible. The roller coaster ride of teaching is something that I am now comfortable with--I embrace the successes and work hard to fix the problems. I am constantly adapting. Here are my top 5 moments of the first quarter:

5. Dominating ping-pong and basketball during lunch. I met many new students and got show them that I was indeed actually human.

4.  First day of school. I was nervous, but excited and really felt for the first time that I was a teacher. I met 64 of my kids for the first time.

3. Hispanic Heritage Month Assembly. This was my first assembly as a teacher. It was weird being the old guy telling people to be quiet and to sit still and be respectful. Just 5 years ago I was the student wanting to talk about things others than the assembly.

2. Senior Class Committee meeting. This was very memorable. My class was full of 50 seniors arguing about where they should have prom. There was anger, hostility, yelling, shouting, laughter, and disagreement. Most of the seniors want prom at a D.C. night club. I had to be a voice of reason. Being the committee advisor will allow me to teach these 18 year olds how to be professional and present requests to administration. I also signed up for the faculty vs. seniors pep rally basketball game. Should be fun.

1. I gave my SAT prep class an end of course survey (the course is only 9 weeks) and they all told me what a great job I did and how I was a great "motivator." Many said that they have never had a teacher like me--caring, demanding, and young. Most said they want me for another class and are sad that they have to leave me. My favorite line: "Mr. Athmer, you cared. Thank you."

No comments:

Post a Comment