Monday, October 11, 2010

Little Successes

I have found that I need to take pleasure in the little successes throughout the week. Teaching is a roller coaster ride where I might have 20 great minutes followed by 10 minutes of whining, limited engagement, or complaining about whatever it is they are doing. So, I have gotten better at embracing the little things in those 20 great minutes:

One of my students is close to 20 years old and has failed almost every class he has ever taken at Bell High School. He has three children and has a fourth on the way. He works most nights until his restaurant closes, which is around 2 a.m. He still comes to school, but simply wanders the halls and socializes. He has told me he is "popular and must keep his reputation solid." No teacher really cares whether he comes into his or her class. I do, however, and have kept him after school on several occasions to talk about things. I have grown frustrated because he NEVER turns in his homework or acts like he cares about his education. Yet, I continue to get on him during my class and never give up on him or his ability to complete work IN class. So, I talked with our special education case manager and she says that the student never does anything in any class (refuses to take quizzes, tests, etc.). So, I have taken pride knowing that I have a folder of work that the student has completed IN my class. Every day he does the work IN my class and continues to put it in his "mailbox folder" which is used by me to pass back student work. I just allow him to put his materials in there since he doesn't bring anything to class. I spoke with him in the hallway about this realization--that he never does any work in any other class--and he confirmed it. He said "I like your class."

So, I take joy in the little things. No, he is currently not passing my class; and no, he is not living up to his full potential; and no, I am hardly satisfied. But, I know that if I continue to give him attention and continue to accept no excuses in my classroom, something may click with this 20 year old senior wonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment