Sunday, October 17, 2010

Ping Pong Celebrity

This past week was a rather unconventional week at school. We had Monday off because of Columbus day, Wednesday was PSAT day where students tested the majority of the day, and Friday we had an assembly and many teachers were out for Advanced Placement training. So, the week had a rather relaxed feel to it as all this "stuff" was going on. That means that I did not have to frantically race around the school getting everything ready for every period--my schedule was pretty well set for me.

Given that I had more time, I decided to play ping pong in the main hallway during the students' lunch periods. The tables are set up so students can remain active and let all that energy out. I hadn't played in a while, so I was rather concerned I would embarrass myself in front of all these 16 years olds. I did not disappoint, though. I played like my old self and all the students surrounded the table and hooted and hollered about how Mr. Athmer was taking everyone down. It was a blast and I had the opportunity to meet more students and forge more relationships. I also went outside and played basketball with some students. They just couldn't believe I would take my lunch time to hang out and play with them. I saw the smiles and I forgot for about an hour that my seniors cannot add fractions. It really makes you put things into perspective. The academic support is the reason I'm teaching, but forging understanding personal relationships with the students show you actually care about them as individuals--something that can maybe make more of a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment