Sunday, September 26, 2010

First Unit Test: The Results!

After a weekend of grading and grading and grading, I have finally completed reviewing the first unit test for my probability and statistics classes. I was so tense during the whole thing because I wanted desperately for my students to do well. I was also tense because it also reflects on how I taught all of the lessons--was I good at teaching the material? Would they respond to my instruction? Our class goal was an 80% class average. This a very demanding goal, as many of the students came into my class well-below grade level proficiency in all their math skills. They couldn't work with fractions, percents, decimals; couldn't calculate the mean, median, and mode of values, etc. So, it was a challenge, but here are the results:

Period 3 class average: 85.3%
Period 4 class average: 62.3%

My third period did amazingly well and my 4th period lacked. I knew the figures would show this, as my 3rd period motors through lessons and is always on task. 4th period, however, is a great challenge. I struggle getting through the material because of the chatter and distractions. I now can show them the data and say, hey, "you just got your clocked cleaned by the other period. What are you going to do about it?" Students love competition and love beating each other in anything. I will use this a a form of motivation.

I am heading into my 6th week. I'm tired, but still energized on a daily basis. Looking at what I've done so far is an incredible thing to do. I plan for hours on end, find time to eat, and do grad school assignments--it is a non-stop life. I'm loving it though because of moments like this.

On the back of one of the first unit tests:
"I think I did very well, Mr. Athmer. Thanks for teaching us."

No comments:

Post a Comment