Sunday, August 8, 2010

Samuel Fels High School, Philadelphia, PA

One of the biggest criticisms of TFA is that its corps members are not prepared to enter the classroom and actually teach. Most of us are not from education backgrounds, so the criticism is completely fair. But, TFA tries to get us as ready as we can by hosting an "Institute" where we teach summer school and learn about education practice in Philadelphia, PA. It was a 5 week program where I woke up at 5:20 every morning, went to the Temple University dining hall to eat breakfast (horrible food), took a school bus to Fels High School, taught one hour of Algebra II to 13 juniors and seniors, and then sat in on "sessions" for the remaining part of the day--learning about education theory, classroom management plans, personal investment plans, and the best ways to lead our students to academic success. The days were long, but I learned an incredible amount of knowledge and am comfortable heading into the real school year.

Fels High School is located in North Philly. It is the worst performing school in the School District of Philadelphia. With that said, I had the pleasure of teaching 13 students Algebra II for 4 weeks. Every student had failed this course the previous year, so I came in thinking that leading them to academic success in such as short period of time would be an almost impossible endeavor. I was positive and expected great things, yet still had in the back of my mind that success might not come in the form of actual academic achievement. I was wrong.

Each student takes a diagnostic test the first day that contains all the information they should know. The average score on the test was a 23 percent. I was shocked. Several students got less than 10 percent of the problems correct. I proceeded to teach every day for the next 4 weeks in an attempt to raise their scores on the same test that would be given at the end of the summer term. After two weeks I gave them a midterm with half of the material they saw on the diagnostic. The average score was an 84 percent. Wow. Then we went through all the material and I gave them a final exam with all the material they should know. The average was a 70 percent (8 of 13 scored above an 80 percent). The growth was tremendous. I pushed those kids like they have never been pushed before; I expected greatness out of each and every one of them; I held each student accountable for their academic achievement; I communicated the importance of actually doing well at something; I accepted no excuses despite what was going on in their lives; I told them "you can" when they are pounded with "you can't."

I know what I just wrote might sound idealistic, ignorant, and unconventional, but I am a firm believer that every student is capable of achieving results. Great results. When you hold people to high expectations, they respond. It doesn't matter who you are dealing with.

I'll leave you with a few highlights from my last assignment I gave my students. I asked them write what their future goals were, how they were going to reach those goals, and what they learned in the class that will help them:

"I plan on attending Virginia Tech and my future career path is to become a pediatrician, which means I am striving to get my doctoral degree. The one skill I learned in this class that will help me achieve my goals is to believe in myself."

"I plan on going to college out of state because I want to have more opportunities."

"I want to go to college and have a job. I want my diploma and I want to go to a very good college. I learned a lot of Algebra 2 in a month. Because I was in school for 1 year and I didn't learn nothing."

"My goals are to graduate high school and attend college and get my professional degree."

"I know I can do anything I put my mind to and make my dreams a reality. I won't stop until I see myself improving and that's what I learned during this month."

"After I graduate high school, I plan on going to a 4 week nursing programing to earn a certificate. Then in August of 2011, after nursing school, my goal is to go to Morgan State and major in Nursing. I am striving for a doctoral degree after that."

"I'm going to strive for a 4.0 from here on out."

"This class taught me never to give up on myself. I can do it."

Most of my students won't graduate high school.  

No comments:

Post a Comment